What is Reiki?
Reiki is the Japanese word for Universal Life Force Energy and is an energetic healing method. Universal life force within the Human body is vibrational energy. It is commonly understood that during stress and illness, energy that usually flows through the body can become depleted, blocked, and unbalanced. Reiki helps raise, replenish and rebalance that energy. Reiki promotes relaxation, a sense of peace, security and well-being that promotes self healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."
What happens during a Reiki Healing Session with me?
Your Reiki Healing Session begins with a 5 to15 minute brief discussion of what events have lead you to come for a healing session, discussing the events and issues that brought you to where you are today, discuss what needs healing, what you are hoping to get from the session and setting an intention for our session.It is important to remember that Reiki is a holistic, energy-based modality. Reiki is not massage. Reiki is a Japanese technique for relaxation that also promotes healing. It is done through touch. A warm and soothing energy flows from the hands into the client, promoting relaxation and releasing tension. Reiki is a divinely guided intuitive art, your Reiki experience may therefore differ from visit to visit.
During a Reiki treatment, you will lie on a massage table unless you prefer to sit on a chair. You will remain fully clothed but will remove your shoes, jewelry, watch, and belt. We will create a soothing environment. A pillow, bolster, and blanket will be provided to make you as comfortable as possible. You willl relax with your eyes closed as I move my hands to different areas of the body.
We allow time at the end (approximately 5-10 minutes) for you to ask questions, talk about your experiences, and ground any new awareness.
As the Reiki Healing Practitioner, I am guided to use whatever works best for each individual in their particular situation during each individual Reiki session. My respect for the uniqueness of every client alone demands that this kind of work is driven by people rather than by techniques, I therefore encourage you to relax, let go, and enjoy your personalized journey to well-being in a safe, calm, comfortable space... and that space is inside of you.
Reiki is a safe, easy, and natural method of healing and self-empowerment for everyone.
The Reiki Healing Session
- You, the client, remain clothed throughout the entire session.
- Reiki Energy flows through the Reiki Practitioner’s hands to you, through placement of the hands either on or just above your body, allowing for the energy flow and exchange to take place.
- Reiki is an intelligent energy and will therefore adjust to the appropriate level for each individual.
- You often experience temperature sensations, very hot or very cold and/or tingling sensations from the practitioner’s hands.
- Emotional release i.e. crying may be experienced during the healing session.
- Reiki works whether you experience physical sensations in your body or whether you do not feel any physical response.
- Each Reiki Healing Session may vary as it is perfectly attuned for your current state and need at the time. A typical Reiki Healing Session is approximately 30 to 90 minutes long.
What will Reiki do for you?
Some Physical Benefits of Reiki
- Reiki works on all chronic and acute illnesses, including serious problems like heart disease and cancer as well as skin problems, flu, fatigue, headaches, and back pain.
- First Aid (as it speeds up healing).
- Reduction in pain and nausea after allopathic treatments such as chemotherapy or surgery.
- Your body being more fully prepared for surgery, including using less anesthesia, and a shortened recovery.
- Tissue regeneration to replace scars and burns.
- Lessening of arthritis pain, stiffness, and increased ease of movements.
- Improved circulation to reduce swelling from many causes (injury, surgery).
- Balancing of the organs and glands and their bodily functions.
- A lessening and relieving of symptoms of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other auto immune diseases.
- Strengthened immune system, and improved capacity of your body’s ability to clear toxins.
- Supports pregnancy and childbirth, and afterwards. Many women report painless childbirth using Reiki.
Some Mental Benefits of Reiki
- Your mind becomes calmer.
- Improved memory.
- Enhanced creativity.
- Help contacting the ‘healer within’ and relief from emotional upset, anxiety and depression.
- Restful sleep with more vivid dreams during sleep.
- You think clearer and you can 'see' clearer.
- Increased self-confidence. You will be able to answer your own questions knowing that you have the answers.
- Enhanced personal awareness
Some Emotional Benefits of Reiki
- Deep relaxation, the mind calms and becomes less erratic.
- Eases depression, insomnia, lack of confidence, addiction and fear-based illnesses.
Some Spiritual Benefits of Reiki
- Increased intuition and creativity leads to a more purposeful direction in life.
- Feel more connected and in tune with others and the universe.
After a Reiki Healing Session
How you feel after a Reiki Healing Session is as individual as the person receiving Reiki. Reiki is positive and loving, it is a subtle but very effective vibrational energy. Most people have a sense of peace and well-being after a Reiki Healing Session, some have symptoms of detoxification.
If one feels bad after a session, there can be a number of reasons because Reiki is a type of cleansing, and sometimes one will feel worse before one feels better.
During a Reiki Healing Session, your negative, toxic vibrations whether they be of a physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual nature will be stirred up, brought to the surface to be removed from your system. Reiki vibrates the negative energy out of the problem area and raises your vibration. You may ache, have a headache or stomach ache, which can indicate detoxification.
Side Effects That May Be Experienced After Treatment
- Crying for no reason
- Extreme tiredness
- Feeling hot or cold
- Increased urination
- Travelling aches or pains throughout body
The reason for this could be that energy is shifting throughout your body and re-balancing, a cleansing process has been triggered and toxins are being released.
What to do after a Reiki Healing Session?
- Side effects will usually diminish after 48-hours
- Drink at least six to eight - 8 oz. glasses of water per day to help flush toxins from your body, plus help to conduct your body's energy flow
- Eat nourishing foods
- Avoid over consumption of stimulants such as coffee/tea/soft drinks containing caffeine or alcohol
- Increase alone time in order to separate your energy from others
- Increase rest time
- Relax - just enjoy and be good and kind to yourself.
Reiki does no harm, trust in the process.